Who is a telecardiologist or online heart specialist?
Online heart specialist or telecardiologist is an online doctor who helps you in understanding heart diseases. How can you get maximum information and best utilize the services of such an online doctor.
What a telecardiologist can do?
Online heart specialist can read all your heart related investigations. These includes electrocardiogram (ECG), cardiac ultrasound or echocardiogram (ECHO), Coronary angiogram (angiography), Holter monitor report, Lipid profile (Cholesterol profile), treadmill test (TMT) or exercise ECG, Stress ECHO, Dobutamine stress ECHO, Paediatric ECHO, External loop recorder (ELR) etc. He can elaborate upon your symptoms. He can explain the disease process. He can discuss various treatment options and their outcomes.
How can you get best out of online cardiology consultation?
Whenever you consult a telecardiologist, please mention following things:-
- Your major symptoms or problems. Detail of each of them including duration, change in intensity over a period of time, effect of exercise, definite or probable precipitants and relieving factors. If you feel a medication has surely affected your symptoms, do mention that.
- Any preexisting medical conditions especially diabetes, high blood pressure, angina heart disease, heart attack, thyroid disorders, kidney diseases, liver diseases or diseases of lungs.
- All current medications. These should include medicines, ointments and drops.
- If you suffer from high blood pressure, do mention your usual (average) blood pressure. Do not forget to write your current medications and side effects of any previous medication.
- If you have undergone a heart surgery or angioplasty (PTCA or stenting), please provide detailed notes of your procedure as supplied by hospital.
- If you wish your online doctor to review your tests, do provide pictures, graphs or videos of procedure. This is especially true for TMT, ECG, ECHO and angiogram. If you do not want the actual review of investigation, then just provide the reports of these investigations.
- Try to summarize your queries in form of definite questions. It is best to ask 3-5 questions in order of priority.
Telecardiologist gives you another perspective (Second opinion) on your heart disease. Moreover, he provides you much more time than your clinic doctor.